Tuesday, November 6, 2012
Fire is not considered suspicious.
The Alexandria Fire Department responded to a car fire around 6:30 p.m. Monday on Commonwealth Avenue in Del Ray. Two fire trucks responded to the corner of W. Nelson and Commonwealth avenues after flames shot up underneath the hood of a BMW sedan. No one was injured in the fire. The fire is not considered suspicious and appeared to be accidental and related to an electrical issue, an AFD spokesperson said. For the quickest updates on what's happening in Del Ray, "like" Del Ray Patch on Facebook and follow @delraypatch on Twitter. Interested in getting Del Ray Patch directly into your inbox each morning? Learn more about our daily newsletter.
Thursday, October 11, 2012
A citywide open-house event is part of National Fire Prevention Week.
All Alexandria city fire stations will hold open houses from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday in honor of National Fire Prevention Week. Each station will open their doors to the community and provide a number of family-oriented activities, along with fire prevention educational materials. Fire apparatus and station tours will be available. Staff at each station will be available to answer questions about their facility, equipment and the department. The event is free and open to all city residents. Chief Fire Marshal Robert Rodriguez said firefighters also will be performing blood pressure checks and providing home fire safety tips and advice. “This year, we’re emphasizing home escape plans and having two ways out,” he said. “It’s also a good …
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Firefighters can be spotted sporting pink T-shirts during October in support of Breast Cancer Awareness month.
Members of Alexandria's Fire Department are fired up for the cause. Fire Chief Adam Thiel has authorized members of the department to wear specially designed pink T-shirts during October, Breast Cancer Awareness month. Proceeds from shirt sales go toward the Alexandria Hospital Breast Cancer Walk Fund at Inova Alexandria Hospital, which provides free mammograms for women who live in Alexandria and need a mammogram but their insurance does not cover it or they do not have insurance. Each fire station has T-shirts available to the public for sale — $15 for a short-sleeve T-shirt and $20 for a long-sleeve shirt. For a full list of stations in Alexandria where you can buy a shirt, click here. Shirts also can be purchased via The Walk website, …
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Students evacuated down to Mount Vernon Community School on foot.
1 p.m. update — The Alexandria Fire Department traced the gas odor at Cora Kelly School to a long-dormant heating unit that was automatically activated by Tuesday morning's cool temperatures, according to a press release from Alexandria City Public Schools. After finding no evidence of a gas leak, the fire department deemed the building safe to reopen at 9:48 a.m. Traveling with a police escort, ACPS school buses quickly picked up and returned students to Cora Kelly. "The rapid action of Cora Kelly administrators, swift assistance from the Alexandria Fire and Police departments and welcoming response from Mount Vernon ensured our students' safety and limited disruption to their school day," said ACPS Superintendent Morton Sherman in the …
Friday, September 7, 2012
Alexandria's Fire and Police departments along with the Sheriff's Office and the Department of Community and Human Services recognized officers and others for their exemplary work.
Four first responders on Thursday were honored for their exemplary performance after graduating from a training program designed to better equip them with necessary skills when they interact with individuals exhibiting behavioral health issues. Alexandria Police Officer Bennie Evans said at the awards ceremony that the Crisis Intervention Team program gave him a certain satisfaction in his job: “I can always write a ticket. I can always take someone to jail, but can I solve a problem?” Evans, who was noted for his work with the city’s homeless population, also was part of the Alexandria delegation that attended the National CIT Conference last year. He was singled out for helping a particular Alexandrian, who had been homeless for years, …
Russell Road blaze causes approximately $5,000 in damages.
The Alexandria Fire Department responded to a small attic fire around 12:30 p.m. Thursday in the 2200 block of Russell Road. The fire was caused by an electrical malfunction, an AFD spokesperson said. “There was an overheated wire in the attic,” said Chief Fire Marshal Robert Rodriguez, adding that there were no injuries and the blaze caused about $5,000 in damages Fire crews were on the scene for about 90 minutes, Rodriguez said. The fire was contained to just one alarm.
Thursday, September 6, 2012
The event will be held Sept. 23 on the grounds of the Virginia Theological Seminary.
Area musicians and Alexandria’s Town Crier have partnered with the historic Friendship Veterans Fire Engine Association to throw a festive afternoon benefit celebrating Alexandria Fire Department firefighters and first responders. The event will be held Sept. 23, from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at The Grove on the grounds of the Virginia Theological Seminary, 3737 Seminary Rd. “This is your opportunity to meet the outstanding men and women who do so much to keep Alexandria safe,” said Association President Joe Shumard. “Help us show support for these first responders while enjoying great food, music, games, and fellowship on the lawn at the Virginia Theological Seminary.” The cost is $30 per adult or $75 for a group of up to five admissions. …
Approximately 150 gallons of ethanol spilled Tuesday at NSR's facility in the West End.
Approximately 150 gallons of ethanol spilled at Norfolk Southern Railroad’s transloading facility near Van Dorn Street Metro station at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and the Alexandria Fire Department was not notified. According to the railroad, the spill occurred when the ethanol was transferred from a railcar to a tanker truck and the tank was overfilled. NSR’s overfill protection system was activated and the spill was contained by employees. There was no contamination to the surrounding area. According to a statement from the City of Alexandria, railroad officials notified the National Response Center, which notified Virginia’s Department of Emergency Management, which then notified the Alexandria Fire Department of the spill. Norfolk Southern did …
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
About five gallons of fuel spilled into the street near the corner of E. Braddock Road and Mt. Vernon Avenue.
About five gallons of gasoline spilled into the street at the corner of E. Braddock Road and Mt. Vernon Avenue near Yates Automotive early Tuesday evening, according to an Alexandria Fire Department spokesperson. The spokesperson did not have information about how the gasoline was spilled. One report of the incident on Twitter claimed there was a user error at a gas pump at Yates, but the tweet was quickly deleted. Mt. Vernon Avenue was blocked between E. Braddock Road and Oak Street around 6:30 p.m., where several fire engines and hazmat vehicles were on the scene. The city’s Department of Transportation and Environmental Services was called in to clean up the area. Gasoline did not reach the sewers or waterways, the spokesperson said.
Friday, August 17, 2012
Alexandria Fire Department responds to track issue just north of Braddock Road Metro station.
Update — The Alexandria Fire Department extinguished the rail bed fires shortly before midnight. One engine remained on the scene until Metro arrived with water to saturate the area. — — — — The Alexandria Fire Department assisted the Metro Transit Police in cooling off a smoldering Metrorail track tie just north of Braddock Road Metro station on Friday night. A spokesperson with the Alexandria Fire Department told Patch two engines responded to the issue. Firefighters experienced trouble reaching the scene of the blaze because of the fence around the tracks. Metro was planning on sending a train through to pour some water on the smoldering tie, the spokesperson said. The fire appeared to be affecting the west side of the tracks. …