Alexandria Country Day School
Founded in 1983, Alexandria Country Day School offers children from kindergarten through eighth grade an extensive curriculum in an intimate academic setting.
With small class sizes and easy access to faculty, students are given ample opportunity to find themselves as they prepare for high school. Spanish is part of the curriculum from kindergarten on, and all the students at ACDS mingle together in the hallways. Teachers are made available for extra tutoring every Tuesday afternoon.
The application process is lengthy and begins in the fall before the following school year.
Housed in the former site of St. Mary's Academy since 1991, a 2010 renovation added a modern cafeteria, improved handicapped access and a gymnasium with regulation a basketball court and rock-climbing wall. The old gym now serves as a full-time performing arts center.
ACDS requires students to wear khaki and green uniforms. A variety of after-school clubs and athletics are offered.
- Fax: 703-549-9022
- Hours: School hours: 8:15am - 3pm; office hours: 8am - 4pm
- Handicap Accessible: Access on left-hand side of building.
- Founding Date: Jan 01 1983
- Number of students: 238
- Male-to-female ratio: 45:55
- Public/Private: Private
- Financial aid: Yes
- Religious affiliation: None
- Acceptance rate (%): 70
- Accreditation/licenses: Virginia Association of Independent Schools
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 8:1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 52
- How engaged is the school with the community?: The school performs a significant amount of community service, including an annual coat drive. Eighth-grade students tutor in community centers, and field trips are often made to Del Ray businesses.
- What makes this community special?: "Del Ray has an old-fashioned main street, the homes are beautiful and there are so many options on Mt. Vernon Avenue. It's also very safe and community-centered."
- Montessori: No
- Grade levels: K-8
- Special education: No
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Language lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: There is a full range of options that change by the semester, including everything from a gardening club to a math club.
- Sports teams: Fall sports: Co-ed soccer and cross country. Winter sports: Boys and girls basketball. Spring sports: Co-ed softball, swimming and tennis.
- Uniforms: Yes
- Age range: 5-13