Several inches of snow that fell overnight and forecasted heavy winds have caused Alexandria City Public Schools to close all schools and offices for Friday, Jan. 3.
Many private schools in Alexandria remain closed for winter break.
Alexandria city government offices and facilities will open as scheduled. Employees may take unscheduled leave if necessary, although emergency personnel must report as scheduled.
The National Weather Service officially measured 2.1 inches of snow in Alexandria as of 10:15 p.m. Thursday.
NWS issued a wind advisory for the entire Washington-Baltimore region from 2 a.m. to noon Friday.
Sustained winds between 20 and 30 mph, with gusts in some areas up to 50 mph are expected into Friday.
The high winds can down tree limbs and power lines, adding to already difficult driving conditions.
Here’s a glance at weather-related closings and delays in the Alexandria area for Friday, Jan. 3, 2014:
Last updated — 6 a.m. Friday
- Alexandria City Public Schools — Closed
- Commonwealth Academy — Closed
- Alexandria Country Day School — Winter break
- Fairfax County Public Schools — Winter break; All activities scheduled in schools or on school grounds for Friday, Jan. 3, are canceled
- Bishop Ireton High School — Winter break
- St. Stephen's and St. Agnes School — Winter break
- St. Mary's Catholic School — Winter break
- Immanuel Lutheran School — Winter break
- Blessed Sacrament School — Winter break
- Saint Rita Catholic School — Winter break