All Alexandria government offices and other city facilities closed at 3 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 21 because of the inclement weather and a series of evening meetings were canceled.
Refuse and recycling collection in Alexandria is delayed for one day this week because of Monday’s Martin Lither King Jr. Holiday.
The city has announced the following closures, cancellations and schedule changes related to Tuesday’s snowfall:
Parking Garages and Lots
City-owned parking garages will close early on Tuesday. Courthouse Garage (111 S. Pitt St.) will close at 11 p.m. Union Street Garage (220 N. Union St.) will close at 11 p.m., while Market Square Garage (108 N. Fairfax St) will close at midnight. Those whole leave their vehicles in the garages after closure can call 877-385-4113 and city staff will respond to open the garage.
City-owned surface parking lots will not permit overnight parking Tuesday night to allow crews to plow, including lots at 517 Cameron St., 120 N. Patrick St. and 112 S. Henry St.
All city-owned parking facilities will reopen Wednesday at their normally scheduled time.
Meeting and activity closures and cancelations:Closing Early
- The Vola Lawson Animal Shelter (4101 Eisenhower Ave.) closed at 1 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 21. Will reopen for adoptions on Thursday, Jan. 23.
- Human Rights Commission, 6 p.m. Tuesday, Jan 21
- Alexandria Renew Enterprises Board of Directors, 6 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 21 (Monthly meeting rescheduled to Jan. 24)
- Waterfront Community Meeting, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 21
- Budget and Fiscal Affairs Advisory Committee, 7 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 21
- Historic Alexandria Resources Commission, 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan 21