Alexandria will recognize Memorial Day with a ceremony at 11 a.m. Monday at the Captain Rocky Versace Plaza and Vietnam Veterans' Memorial outside the on Commonwealth Avenue.
The program will include the reading the names of the 67 troops with Alexandria ties that died in the Vietnam War and a tribute to Capt. Rocky Versace written by his fellow POW Col. James Rowe, guest speakers, a wreath laying, playing of "Taps" and the singing of "God Bless America."
The plaza outside the Mount Vernon Recreation Center is dedicated to Capt. Versace and the 66 other Alexandrians who made the ultimate sacrifice during the Vietnam War.
The memorial, dedicated 10 years ago this July, is an ongoing tribute to all Alexandrians who served in Vietnam.
About 200 people attended outside the rec center.
Alexandria city government offices will be closed Monday in observance of Memorial Day.
Other services in the city will also work on a revised schedule on Monday, including:
- The Alexandria Health Department (4480 King St.), the Flora Krause Casey Health Center (1200 N. Howard St.) and the Teen Wellness Center at (3330 King St.) will be closed.
- All Alexandria Library branches will be closed.
- The Alexandria Police Department will suspend enforcement of parking restrictions at metered spaces as well as time restrictions in residential permit parking districts and other areas with signed parking time limits.
- Alexandria neighborhood recreation centers will be closed. Chinquapin Recreation Center will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Residential refuse and recycling will not be collected on Monday. Collection services will be delayed by one day during the week. The Household Hazardous Waste and Electronics Collections Drop-off Center will be closed Monday.
- Alexandria City Public Schools will be closed.
- The General District Court, the Circuit Court and the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court will all be closed. In addition, the DMV Office at 2681 Mill Rd. will be closed.
- DASH bus service will operate on a Sunday schedule.
Alexandria will host its annual from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Monday at Waterfront Park located at the bottom of Prince Street.
Attendees are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and blankets or simply sit on the grass. Food, such as barbeque, fried chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, snow cones and funnel cakes will be for sale, but everyone is welcome to pack a picnic lunch or supper.