The news comes one day after the longtime girlfriend of suspect Charles Severance, 53, testified that she had never known Severance to be violent or use a gun. Linda Roba said she bought two .22-caliber revolvers upon Severance's suggestion and he had access to the weapons since the two began living together in 2011. Based on her testimony, Loudoun District Court judge ruled Wednesday there was probable cause to charge Severance with possession of a firearm by a nonviolent felon.
No arrests have been made relating to these crimes, but the Department said Wednesday Severance is the primary focus of their investigation into the slayings of realtor Nancy Dunning in 2003, transportation official Ronald Kirby in 2013 and piano teacher Ruthanne Lotado in February.
Charles Severance came to the Department’s attention shortly before his arrest in West Virginia through a tip. Testimony in Wednesday's hearing revealed officials investigating the murders were considering Severance as a suspect as early as March. Alexandria Police have yet to find the two revolvers and have not disclosed any evidence linking Severance to the slayings.
- Alexandria Resident Ruthanne Lodato Killed in ShootingThursday
- Shooting Victim Ruthanne Lodato was Mother of 3, Music Teacher
- Ruthanne Lodato Homicide: Alexandria Police Chief, Mayor Attempt to Reassure Community
- Alexandria Police Release Sketch of Suspected Shooter in Lodato Murder
- Police Restrict Access to Streets Around Shooting
- Ruthanne Lodato Funeral: Hundreds Gather to Say Goodbye
- Police to Hold News Conference on Lodato Homicide Investigation
- VIDEO: Alexandria Police Chief Doesn't Rule Out Serial Killer
- What Ties Lodato Homicide to Other Victims?
- Prosecutor: Man Wanted for Questioning in Alexandria Slayings 'A Danger'; 2 Guns Missing
- Public Defender Says Charles Severance Being Held on 'Sham' Charges
- Gov. McAuliffe Signs Extradition Order for 'Person of Interest' in Alexandria Killings
- Prosecutor: Charles Severance Served With Extradition Warrant
- Charles Severance's Attorney Asks to Delay Extradition Hearing to April 24
- FBI, Police Search Water for Evidence in Connection with Three Alexandria Homicides
- Defender Asks for Severance's Release Under Sham Charges
- Charles Severance's Lawyer: Media Coverage 'Prejudicial'
- Loudoun County Judge Sends Severance Gun Charges to Grand Jury