The animal control officers have been busy lately at the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria. The following are some of the calls handled by the officers, between March 18 and Tuesday:March 18
- 1100 block of Beverly Drive: Officers responded to a report of a dog biting another dog. The biting dog was off leash when it approached another dog and its owner while on a walk. A report was taken.
- 600 block of First Street: Officers responded to a report of an injured seagull. The seagull located with an injury to its wing and was transported to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator.
- 300 block of Clover Way Drive: Officers responded to a an incident between a domestic cat and a squirrel that had gotten inside a residence through an open door. The squirrel was subsequently killed by the cat. A report was taken.
- 1200 block of Wythe Street: Officers responded to the report of a dog bite. A neighbor walking into the yard was bitten when they approached the dog. The dog bite resulted in minor injuries. A report was taken.
- 1200 block of Pendleton Street: Officers responded to a report of a dog confined to a car. Investigation revealed no violations for leaving the dog in the car however the dog was found not properly licensed. The owner was given a citation.
- 400 block of Ferdinand Day Boulevard: Officers responded to a report of a dog running at large. The dog was located and taken to the animal shelter. The animal is a reddish brown and black german shepherd mix.
- 200 block of South Pickett Street: Officers responded to the report of a baby squirrel found in a car engine. Officers removed the squirrel from the car and took it to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator.
- 3600 block of Wheeler Avenue: Officers responded to the report of a deer trapped under a parked vehicle. Investigation revealed the deer had jumped down into a parking lot from a retaining wall. The deer was injured by the jump and had slid under a parked vehicle. The deer was taken to the animal shelter where it was determined that its injuries were severe and it was humanely euthanized.
- 2300 block of Eisenhower Avenue: Officers responded to the report of a dog running at large. The dog was located and taken to the animal shelter where the owner was identified and contacted. The owner was issued a citation for allowing the dog to run at large.
Also, don't forget: The 4th Annual Mardi Growl, benefiting the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria, will be held on Wednesday April 2, from 5:30-8 p.m. at the US Patent and Trademark Office, 600 Dulany St. in Alexandria. The evening promises great food from multiple local restaurants, music, dancing, and a fabulous silent auction! Visit www.AlexandriaAnimals.org/MardiGrowl for more information. Tickets are available at the door.