In the middle of the busy intersection of Braddock and Russell roads sits one of General Edward Braddock’s abandoned cannons. The British soldier served as commander-in-chief of the 13 colonies during the French and Indian War.
Braddock made his headquarters in Alexandria, which was a staging area for the British military during the mid-1750s, and occupied the while planning his campaign.
The marker has two weathered panels describing the cannon’s significance.
On the north side, it reads:
“This monument marks the trail taken by the army of General Braddock which left Alexandria on April 20, 1755, to defend the Western Frontier against the French and Indians.
“Erected by the Society of Colonial Dames of America in the State of Virginia, May 26, 1915.”
On the south side, it reads:
“The cannon used here was abandoned by General Braddock at Old Alexandria, April 1755.
“The cobblestones composing this mound were taken from the streets of Old Alexandria, which were paved by legal enactment in 1785.”
To read more about Braddock, click here.