7 p.m. Wednesday update — The Del Ray tree lighting and luminarias at the farmers market lot has been postponed until 6 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7 because of expected rain in the forecast for Friday.
Volunteers are especially need for several duties because of the postponement, including:
- Constructing luminarias at noon Saturday at the farmers market lot
- Distributing the luminarias across Mount Vernon Avenue at 2 p.m.
- Lighting the luminarias between 4:30 and 5 p.m.
- Help with the tree lighting, crowd control and photos with Santa beginning at 6 p.m.
- Help with extinguishing and disposing of the luminarias beginning at 10 p.m.
— — — —
The Del Ray Christmas tree went up at the farmers market lot early Wednesday morning in preparation for Friday evening’s lighting ceremony.
The arbor was donated by Del Ray restaurant Pork Barrel BBQ. Co-owner Bill Blackburn retrieved the tree from a Maryland farm on Sunday.
Local attorney Cathy Puskar helped line up equipment and labor from J.E. Richards Electric, A&A Transfer and Whiting Turner Contractors to help transport, erect and decorate the tree.
The Del Ray Business Association will light the tree at 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6 at the corner of Mount Vernon and E. Oxford avenues. The event will include carols, a visit from Santa and hundreds of luminarias along Mount Vernon Avenue in honor of the late Nancy Dunning.