Scouts from local troops and packs will be distributing plastic bags in local neighborhoods on Saturday, Nov. 2 and will return Saturday, Nov. 9 to pick up bags filled with food.
In Alexandria, Cub Scout Pack 129 based out of George Mason Elementary School and Westminster Presbyterian Church is just one of many local units participating. Pack 129 will be distributing bags Saturday in the Beverley Hills-North Ridge area.
The collected food will be distributed to in-need families in the region through the Capital Area Food Bank.
Most-wanted items include:
- Nonperishable food items
- Canned protein (tuna, salmon, chicken, peanut butter)
- Soups and stews (beef stew, chili, meat-based soups)
- 100-percent fruit juices (all sizes)
- Grains (pasta, whole grain pasta, rice, brown rice, boxed macaroni and cheese)
- Cereals (multi-grain, low-sugar such as Cheerios, cornflakes, raisin bran, grape nuts, oatmeal)
- Canned vegetables
- Canned fruits
- Hygiene products (diapers, toilet paper, tissues, soap, toothpaste)