Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille, 63, came in second in the poll and former Lt. Gov. Don Beyer, 63, came in third.
Ebbin, 50, represents Virginia's 30th District in the state Senate, which includes parts of Alexandria, Fairfax County and Arlington County. He has been endorsed in the primary race by former state Sen. and Alexandria Mayor Patsy Ticer, state Sen. Chap Petersen, Del. Mark Sickles (who recently dropped out of the race) and state Sen. Dave Marsden.
The straw poll took place at Port City Brewing Company in Alexandria at a fundraiser that included craft beer tasting.
Here are the numbers from the poll:
- Adam Ebbin: 90
- Bill Euille: 68
- Donald Beyer: 62
- Patrick Hope: 58
- Charniele Herring: 21
- Lavern Chatman: 12
- Mark Levine: 8
- Satish Korpe: 3
- Derek Hyra: 2
- Bruce Shuttleworth: 1
The Democratic primary is set for June 10. The winner will face Republican Micah Edmond. Congressman Jim Moran announced in January he was retiring from Congress.
The Democrats running in the primary are expected to appear in a forum Saturday from 4-6 p.m. at Mount Vernon High School, 8515 Old Mount Vernon Road in Mount Vernon.
George Burke, who chairs the 11th Congressional District Democratic Committee, will moderate the forum. Burke works in the U.S. House of Representatives as Communications director for Congressman Gerry Connolly.
- Alexandrians Mark Levine, Derek Hyra Enter Race for Congress
- Community Leader Lavern Chatman Enters Congressional Race
- State Sen. Adam Ebbin Announces Run for Congress
- Charniele Herring Enters Race for Congress
- Sickles Joins Growing List of Democrats Seeking 8th Congressional District Nod
- Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille Enters Congressional Race
- Patrick Hope Launches Congressional Campaign
- Report: Don Beyer to Enter Race for Congress
- After Jim Moran: Awaiting a Swarm of Potential Successors