It’s supposed to be a beautiful weekend with sunny skies and temperatures in the 50s—perfect for going out. Here are some of your options in Alexandria and beyond.
Have other suggestions for things to do this weekend? Let us know in the comments!
- When and Where: 7 – 10 p.m. Friday, March 8 at the National Inventors Hall of Fame and Museum/USPTO, 600 Dulany St.
- Why go: According to the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria, this will be a “festive night of music, dancing, costumes, and more.” The event is the Animal Welfare League’s largest annual fundraising event and it supports the homeless animals at the Vola Lawson Animal Shelter.
- Price: Online ticket sales are closed, but limited tickets will be available at the door.
- More info: Mardi Growl event website
“My Son Pinocchio” by Mount Vernon Community Children’s Theater
- When and where: Fridays and Saturdays, March 8, 9, 15 and 16 at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays, March 10 and 17 at 3 p.m. at Bryant Alternative High School, 2709 Popkins Lane.
- Why go: Pinocchio, the Blue Fairy and other characters—along with Geppetto—go off in search of the formula for the "perfect child."
- Price: Tickets cost $10 in advance and $12 at the door.
- More info: www.mvcct.org
Woodlawn Annual Needlework Exhibition
- When and Where: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. daily, Thursday, March 7 through March 31 at Woodlawn, 9000 Richmond Highway, Mount Vernon
- Why go: This exhibition of contemporary needlework supports Woodlawn. Read more about the 2013 Needlework Exhibition here.
- Price: $10 adults, $5 for children
- More info: Woodlawn Pope Leighey website
- When and Where: 8 p.m. Saturday, March 9 at the Carlyle Club, 411 John Carlyle Street
- Why go: A nationally-touring Beatles tribute band that focuses on recreating early Beatles concerts, complete with costumes, equipment and perfect pitch.
- Price: $25
- More info: Carlyle Club website
Arlington Home Show and Expo
- When and Where: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, March 9 at the Thomas Jefferson Community Center in Arlington, 3501 S. Second St.
- Why go: More than 70 specialists are participating and will have information on contractors, financing, remodeling, gardening and landscaping and more.
- Price: Free.
- More info: Home and Garden Expo website
Shamrock Bar Crawl
- When and where: 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, March 9. Pick up wrist bands between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. at the Mad Rose Tavern or Velocity Five.
- Why Go: In advance of St. Patrick’s Day, visit top Clarendon/Courthouse area bars including Whitlow’s on Wilson, Wilson Tavern, and Arlington’s Rooftop Bar & Grill. See their website for more info.
- Price: $15 by signing up online, $20 day of the event.
- More info: www.theshamrockcrawl.com