On Tuesday, he stopped by FireFlies, 1501 Mt. Vernon Ave., for lunch, sitting down for a hamburger with Education Secretary Arne Duncan, according to a report today in The New York Times, and several local tweets.
Obama is getting out and about a bit more these days; on Monday, he hit a local Starbucks near the White House.
Obama visited FireFlies because one of the owners "wrote to the President and asked that he visit her restaurant to try the best burger around," said a White House statement.
Alexandria residents and business owners have played host to the first family numerous times over the years, including their stops at:
- In 2009, the president visited The Dairy Godmother, a frozen custard store in Del Ray, on Father's Day.
- In 2011, the Obamas celebrated their anniversary at Restaurant Eve in Alexandria.
- They celebrated Michelle Obama's mother's birthday at The Majestic in Alexandria.
- They had lunch at Union Street Public House in Alexandria.
- The president grabbed some carryout at Del Ray Pizzeria in 2011.