The association will host Well Ray Field Day Thursday, June 5 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. along Mount Vernon Avenue. Funds raised will be donated to help build the Ruthanne Lodato Memorial Accessible Playground.
The actual field being used for Field Day is located on Mount Vernon Avenue and Del Ray Avenue, next to Bean Creative.
A rain date for the event is Thursday, June 12.
Some of the highlights of Well Ray Field Day include:
- Yoga “Tree Pose” World Record Attempt. "We need your kids! We will attempt to capture the world record for the most children holding the Tree Pose," organizers said in their news release.
- The support of Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move initiative. "We will encourage our community to get moving with fun physical activities," organizers noted.
- The Tug-o-War contests. Alexandria Fire Department vs. the Alexandria Sheriff’s Department, and Del Ray Yogis vs Del Ray Pilates.
Organizers note that proceeds from the activities will benefit the Ruthanne Lodato Memorial Accessible Playground, which is being built by the Kelley Cares Foundation "to enable all our children to have access to playground facilities," organizers said.
“The city of Alexandria is a vibrant and healthy community filled with active and supportive neighbors," said Mayor Bill Euille, in the news release. "We are committed to supporting and spreading the word about the Let’s Move initiative by encouraging healthy and active events in our community. Please join us at the Well Ray Field Day to celebrate well being in our great community.”
“Del Ray is a close knit community where everyone gets involved," said Pat Miller, president of DRBA. "We encourage events that promote healthy & active lifestyles. We are so excited to host an event shows our support for the Let’s Move! initiative, and contributes to providing the opportunity for physical activity for everyone in our community."
“We want to thank Del Ray Business Association for supporting our efforts, and bringing attention to building our accessible playground for all, which we hope will honor our constant cheerleader Ruthanne Lodato," said Lindsey Swanson, director of Kelley Cares Foundation.
"Thank You DRBA, YOU ROCK!," she said. "We are super excited to be partnering with such a great community event like First Thursday and the Well Ray Field Day, especially supporting healthy families and healthy children in the community!”
- To learn more about Del Ray Business Association: DRBA Website
- To learn more about Del Ray Business Association: DRBA Facebook
- To donate Kelly Cares Foundation Accessible Playground: Donate
- To learn more about Well Ray Field Day: Well Ray Field Day Facebook