Some suggestions for your weekend in and around Alexandria.
Making plans for the weekend? Take a look at Patch’s list of events happening locally this Friday through Sunday.
- Where: Various locations around Alexandria
- When: Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Check out the schedule.
- Why Go: A yearly tribute to cinema, the Alexandria Film Festival presents feature-length films, documentaries, animation and shorts by emerging and established filmmakers to an audience seeking new or rarely seen films.
- Price: Various.
- Where: Bryant Alternative High School, Alexandria
- When: Friday and Saturday, 7:30 p.m. Sunday, 3 p.m.
- Why Go: Enjoy this popular Rodgers and Hammerstein musical featuring classic showtunes such as “Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin,’” “Surrey with the Fringe on Top” and more.
- Price: Tickets are $10 online and $12 at the door.
- Where: US Patent and Trademark Office, Alexandria
- When: Saturday, 8 a.m.
- Why Go: Proceeds will benefit Carpenter’s Shelter and the fight against homelessness. Awards will be presented to the top male and female finishers. There will also be a 1-mile Fun Run for kids.
- Price: Race day registration is $40; $30 for Fun Run.
- Where: St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, Alexandria
- When: Saturday, 7:30 p.m.
- Why Go: This Renaissance-style concert will be followed by a wine and cheese reception.
- Price: Adults $20, seniors $15, students and teachers $10.
- Where: The Athenaeum, Alexandria
- When: Sunday, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Why Go: Learn about 18th century needlework, and begin your own project to take home. This class is intended for those of an intermediate skill level or confident beginners. Space is limited, and reservations are required.
- Price: $20 per person, includes materials.
Holiday Shops and Craft Fairs:
- Holiday Bazaar at Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Alexandria. Saturday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Holiday Shop at Mount Vernon Unitarian Church, Alexandria. Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Annual Craft Fair at St. Matthews United Methodist Church, Annandale. Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Third Annual Handmade Holiday Craft Fair at T.C. Williams High School, Alexandria. Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Annual Christmas Bazaar at St. Mary’s Catholic School, Alexandria. Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.