This weekend is both the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend and the second inauguration weekend of President Barack Obama (For complete inauguration coverage, click here).
If your weekend is not filled with inauguration-related activities, there are plenty of other things to do in and around town. Here’s a roundup.
- Where: At more than 50 restaurants across Alexandria.
- When: Friday through Jan. 27.
- Why go: Restaurant week is a great excuse to go try a restaurant you’ve been meaning to visit. Details and menus from participating restaurants are available here.
- Price: Most restaurants are offering a $35 dinner for two or a $35 prix-fixe menu.
- Where: Gadsby’s Tavern, 134 N. Royal St.
- When: 7 – 9 p.m. Friday
- Why go: Gadsby’s Tavern is partnering with Yards Brewery to present a historic, fun and educational beer pairing with a four-course dinner.
- Price: $85
- Where: The Athenaeum, 201 Prince St.
- When: 7 p.m. Friday
- Why go: Enjoy this live mic, music and poetry event.
- Price: Free to watch, $10 to participate.
- Where: Torpedo Factory Art Center
- When: 9 a.m. – noon Saturday
- Why go: Pick up a beautiful handcrafted bowl, warm up with some delicious soup and support United Community Ministries in this fundraiser. UCM provides assistance to low-income families in our area.
- Price: $20
- Where: 25 S. Dove St., Alexandria
- When: 1:30 – 4:30 p.m. every Saturday
- Why go: When the weather is cold and grey, it’s nice to have something warm and soft to cuddle with. Bring home a playful kitten or a cool cat through the King Street Cats adoption event.
- Price: Adoption fee applies. More information at www.kingstreetcats.org.
Note: City of Alexandria offices, schools and libraries will be closed in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day (observed) on Monday.
What are you up to this weekend, Alexandria? Tell us about events we should highlight in the comments section below!