Flu season is coming early in parts of the United States: At this time last year, flu cases were much lower in Northern Virginia than they are now, according to data on Google's Flu Trends.
Overall in Virginia, activity is considered high and heading quickly toward an "intense" rating. Activity is similar in DC. It was considered moderate at this time in 2011, according to Flu Trends.
The CDC also offers this information and tips about avoiding influenza this winter:
- Who should get vaccinated
- When to get vaccinated
- Selecting a flu vaccine
- Symptoms, complications and severity
- Treatment if you get the flu
- How flu spreads
See also: Where to Get a Flu Vaccine in Alexandria
See More on Patch
- On a Strict Sodium Diet? Be Careful How Much Alexandria Tap Water You Drink
- Marching Titans Heading to Sugar Bowl
- Red Equality Symbol Floods Social Media with Defense of Marriage Act Arguments Under Way
- Park Service: Sequestration Will Hurt Local Economies
- Sequestration to Cost Virginia more than $838 Million, White House Says